Where do you ever hear Jesus call us to be leaders? Can you find a reference? Yes, we are called, but not to be leaders.
The Bible never says we’re to be leaders, in fact the Bible says Christ is the Head of the Body of Christ, i.e. the Church.
Col 1:18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.
If Christ is our Savior, our Leader, that makes us followers of Him.
God gave us gifts when we became believers in Christ, so who are we to use them?
Rom 12:6-8 Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
While Paul starts his list of gifts, he does indicate that any gift the Spirit gives is a one time act at the point of salvation that is never repeated again, i.e. we get the one gift and no more. Our charge then is to “exercise them accordingly” to the leadership of Jesus Christ. Having said that, what are we to do?
Be the Light in the Dark
We’re less about being Leaders in the Church, that’s Christ’s job, but more about being Lighters, reflecting the light of Christ in a dark world. What does this look like?
- Leaders can focus more about themselves, Lighters focus on sharing the light of Christ
- Leaders spark interest in themselves, Lighters spark a non believers interest in Christ
- Leaders light things up for themselves, Lighters light up the darkness of the world through Christ.
- Leaders draw attention to themselves, Lighters extend the light of Christ to any and all that are drawn to the good that is in us toward Him.
- Leaders want to burn brighter for themselves, Lighters burn brighter when combined with other Christians that want to share the light of Christ, too, i.e. when two or three are gathered.
- Leaders want to stand out among others, Lighters want to work together to burn brighter as a team for Christ.
So, don’t be a leader, be the light and combine your light with others in this dark world.
Mat 5:14-16 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Be the light by following Christ.
Want to know more? Read Billy Graham’s article How to Shine Your Light for Christ